Sunday, July 16, 2017

Budgets, Quinoa, Pinterest And Maybe A Lawn Sale

On budgets, first the background:

   When my husband suffered a stroke in April of 2015, six months before his planned retirement, - Don't fret, he's recovered near perfect again and we're very grateful - we were very close to paying off the last credit card and putting savings in the bank. Plans change. He was forced into retirement early and a new budget came into play. Needless to say, it has been more of a learning experience than  I wanted but learn I have.
   We both qualified for Social Security so we at least had income, although short of which we were used to. However, we have managed in spite of household repairs this year that had to go on credit. Furnaces and refrigerators don't break down in the best of financial situations. 

Now, the present:
 
   With making standard bill payments, the only area of the budget that can be juggled is the food budget. One can get quite inventive. This morning I put some hot water in a jar of molasses to dissolve the contents in the bottom and used the resulting liquid along with more water to cook a batch of quinoa. Some raisins and a pat of butter was added to the quinoa. Yum! Why didn't I think of this before? Reminded me of Maypo cereal I ate as a kid. Now if I can just figure out what to do with that package of chia seeds I bought a while back.


    Mind you, there is plenty to eat in the house so we aren't going hungry. We just have to think outside the box. It's like playing a game.
    Pinterest has a boat load of recipes that boggles the mind so I've been adding lots of recipes to my boards to try out.

And lastly,the future:

   Finally there is better weather forecast for this week so we can finally have our lawn sale. Unless,of course, if the weather doesn't co-operate!
 
   Thanks for visiting. Hugs!

  




    
  

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes - the dreaded budget. I lost my job nearly 3 years ago. Then 2 years ago, while still unemployed, I had some health problems. All recovered now, but I decided that I didn't want to go back to work. Ever. We're managing, and most of the time, I enjoy the challenge of being frugal. we could cut back on a lot more, but I can't get DH on board.

    ReplyDelete

It's so nice of you to visit. Please visit often and leave your comments. And above all, share my blog with your friends.

A Quick Check In

Our lifestyle has changed since my husband of nearly 50 years had a serious stroke in May 20019. No more running out for groceries when I wa...